The Software Organizing Project part 2

Leave a comment

This is turning out to be a more involved project that anticipated and at this point I’m only doing it to myself. I think it’s because unlike the comic organizing mega-project I can go through and get this finished without dedicating my life to it and move on to something new. It may also be one of those projects that’s a long time coming. Even doing this a few pieces of software are still missing, although I did find a few productivity and art programs. Still don’t know what happened to Sonic Heroes.

If you recall from last week I was trying to figure out how to store my software. I just realized as I was writing this sentence that I have more than two categories. I have the games, the drivers, the art software, the productivity software, and a few “interactive cybercomics”, which means I have to figure out what to do with all of that. Right now though I’m focusing on the games. Here’s my current progress.

More

Advertisements

The Software Organizing Project part 1

1 Comment

It’s kind of annoying when a project you think can be done in a few hours isn’t even complete in a full day. And yet that’s what happened with this week’s project.

I have two computers, the old Vista desktop I bought when I still had a decent paying job and the older XP laptop I received as a gift. I have plenty of software that was made for Windows XP and below, the last decent operating system for backwards-compatibility all the way back to the old DOS (short for disk operating system, which is really the heart of the computer; even today Windows is just an interface really). So even if I got something new I wouldn’t miss Vista if I can get 7 or 8 (until Microsoft and the various browsers stop supporting them as well) but I would miss XP. As it turns out I have a lot of Windows 95 software.

This week’s project was to get all of my software together and organize it for easy locating. I have a lot of games and some productivity software, and while much of it can run on Vista some of it can’t. My goal was to separate that, see what I might want to get rid of, and better organize the rest between my two computers. I was partly successful.

More

Quick Report: Cleaning A Different Corner

Leave a comment

The corner near my Atari, VCR, and cable box was a bit cluttered but not as bad as other areas I needed to fix so I didn’t do much with it. However, I needed access to that corner to change the cable box (long story) and had to move the junk out of the way. You see where that ended up, and that did need to get cleaned up. So I took the opportunity to clean that up a bit rather than put all the junk back there and along the heater. That old computer will be dealt with when a friend of mine has time to look at it.

The tripod is there because I needed to judge the distance between the white drawers (where I have comics from that long-running project) and the cabinet where some of my games are. I didn’t want to lose access but I was hoping I could move it over and away from the heater. I don’t think there’s a fire hazard, I just thought it would be better not under the air conditioner. The tripod held up the door and…there isn’t enough clearance. So it has to stay where it is. I did manage to find a difference place for a ceiling fan we haven’t had the chance to use, move the Mini-Cons that were sitting on the floor where the clutter in the picture is, and at least got my photo studio case away from the heat. I also moved a box I don’t need anymore because I know I’m not sending what was in it back, but I might want to use it to send something in the future. I haven’t decided just yet but those go elsewhere anyway. The end result:

I can get to my windows again and it’s a lot cleaner. (This is before I moved the Mini-Cons.) I also have a better place to put the heater when Winter is over. (We seriously need new windows.) This opened up the floor space a bit more but I still need a new place to put those Transformers comics, which I can’t put in the closet currently. But I left it in better shape than it was when I had to move the stuff to reach the cable box, so I achieved that this week.

The Art Corner Clean-Up: Second Strike

Leave a comment

Update on this phase. Due to things happening during the week I didn’t get to devote as much attention as I planned to this part of the project, the one where I went over all the card backs with Transformers tech specs and other profiles, but I did go over them. I did send some stuff to recycling bin while still keeping stuff for a future art project that I still think I need. With that I moved on to the next part of art corner clean-up.

With the keyboard shelf now cleaned out of junk it was time to look at the middle shelf. (The bottom shelf will have to wait until I’ve continued my comic project and hopefully cleared up space for the comics sitting there to go where they belong.) This shelf has collected a bunch of various things. Primarily it’s where I have artwork that won’t fit in my huge art binder because of the paper size. See, most of the art was done on 8X11 paper because that’s what I used for years. It’s what goes into copiers or computer printers and that’s what was available. When I switched to Bristol Boards the smallest I could find was 9X12, and I can’t find binder sleeves that hold 9X12. This includes not only lineart for the comics I make but work on title cards for videos and other things I’ve worked on. Throw in a few magazines and it’s become something of a disaster. So this week the goal was to make this look less terrible.

More